June 30, 2018, FREDERICTON (GNB) – Opportunities NB has awarded $1,000 each to 12 high school graduates to help them achieve their post-secondary goals.
“It was exciting to receive the highest number of applications since the program began,” said Economic Development Minister Francine Landry, who is also the minister responsible for Opportunities NB. “It is evident from the essays that youth in the province are excited to stay here and are determined to contribute to the growth and success of New Brunswick.”
Now in its third year, the NB Proud Award provides high school graduates with a non-renewable award to help them attend post-secondary educational institutions within the province. The awards are aligned with the 12 provincial Regional Service Commissions.
“At Opportunities NB, we know that investing in our province’s youth walks hand-in-hand with growing our economy,” said Stephen Lund, corporation CEO. “We have established New Brunswick as a leader in new and exciting sectors, like cybersecurity and financial technology, so that our generation of young people will be able to find good-paying jobs and raise their families’ right here in New Brunswick.”
The selection committee evaluated more than 300 students who exemplified the ideas of NB Proud; youth with a strong desire to pursue their passion in the province with a positive outlook of the future for themselves and New Brunswick.
The recipients are:
- Joshua Armstrong, Riverview High School, Riverview.
- Joël Brideau, Polyvalente W.-Arthur-Losier, Petit-Tracadie.
- Émile Couturier, École Sainte- Anne, Fredericton.
- Félix Couturier, Cité des Jeunes A.-M.-Sormany, Edmundston.
- Gabrielle Desjardins, École Marie-Gaétane, Kedgwick.
- Victoria Gray, Hampton High School, Hampton.
- Morgan LeBlanc, Bonar Law Memorial School, Rexton.
- Jackson Lirette, Miramichi Valley High School, Miramichi.
- Kevin MacIntyre, St. Stephen High School, Chamcook.
- Amélie Michaud, École secondaire Népisiguit, Beresford.
- Caitlin Moore, Simonds High School, Saint John.
- Emma Sytsma, Carleton North High School, Royalton.
Opportunities NB is a Crown corporation that seeks to attract and support opportunities to grow the economy and create jobs. To date, the corporation has given $32,000 to help students pursue their career goals in New Brunswick.